Monday, April 20, 2009

Dreaming Dreams

Has anyone not seen and heard Susan Boyle? I cry every time I watch this video, and I won't tell you how many times I've watched it. Her performance is truly inspiring. It proves that you don't have to be young or pretty to succeed, as long as you have talent, hope, and great deal of perseverance. I also think that's ironic that the song she sang was all about despair at one's lot in life, and she managed to fulfill her dreams by singing it.

Of course, watching this also makes me want to rewrite the lyrics:

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When grad school was a life worth living
I dreamed I could be a PI
I dreamed reviews would be forgiving

...

But your proposal was reviewed
And they've denied you any funding
As they tear your ideas apart
As they turn your dreams to shaaAAAAAME!


And just to assuage any concerns, I'm actually quite a bit more upbeat about things than the above lyrics might suggest. I'm just having a little fun.

No comments :