Thursday, January 14, 2010

AAS 215 -- OWLM

So, last week was the 215th AAS Meeting in Washington, DC. I found the meeting to be pretty overwhelming. In fact, the title of this post is a reference to the OWLT, in case it wasn't clear. It was the biggest AAS Meeting in history, which for me translated into not being able to walk more than about 10 feet before encountering someone I knew, and perpetually getting lost in the enormous rat maze that was the poster room.

As a local, I commuted in to the meeting every day. This meant that although I got to sleep in my own bed every night, I also had to take care of chores at home in addition to spending extra long days at the meeting. On the other hand, I got to see my kids every day, so hey.

It was especially fun to meet readers of this here blog at the meeting. It's always gratifying to know that that people are reading and appreciating this blog. You guys are awesome!

I also got a great deal out of this meeting scientifically. As with any good conference, I came out of it with new ideas and energized about my science. I've been busy since the end of the meeting furiously writing papers and exploring some new ideas, which is why I haven't posted my recaps of the meeting yet.

Still, I will get to blogging eventually about aspects of the meeting relevant to Women in Astronomy, so stay tuned!

No comments :